Stop bombing Syria
Revelations that British fighter pilots have been secretly bombing Syria under US command reveal both the government's contempt for democracy and its subservience to Washington foreign policy. The news makes a mockery of Michael Fallon's promise of a full debate and vote in parliament on the issue.
Since the start of the "war on terror", Jihadi organisation has spread from small pockets of Central Asia across whole swathes of the globe. Western bombing in Syria will do nothing to halt Isis. On the contrary it will add fuel to the flames of war engulfing the whole region, and it will lead to an increase in terrorist attacks.
Stop the War demands the government publicly commits to an immediate end to British bombing of Syria. More widely we call for an end to military and diplomatic support for Saudi Arabia in its war on Yemen and for a stop to the bombing campaign in Iraq.
The anti-war movement needs to maximise pressure against our government's foreign wars.
1) London public meeting Don't bomb Syria, hands off Yemen.
, Saturday 18th July. Bloomsbury Baptist Church, WC2 8EP.
2) Build pressure against UK military intervention in Syria
- Lobby your MP now. It takes two minutes.
- Sign the petition against the bombing of Syria and take the petition around your workplace and community.
- Organise street stalls and petitioning sessions.
- Hold a public meeting against the bombing of Syria (contact the office if you need help with this).
- Participate in the debate by phoning local radio stations.
- The topic of bombing Syria is likely to loom large this week, especially in radio prime time (around and ).
- LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation) is a prominent example of a talk radio station (97.3 FM, its telephone number is 0345 60 60 973).
- BBC Radio 5 Live (AM: 693 kHz, 909 kHz, 990 kHz ) is another major national talk radio station. Its telephone number is 0500 909693.
- For a list of local BBC radio stations, click here.
Campaigning costs money. Please make a donation to support our work.