Sunday 28 February 2016

'I feel I’m being forced out': London billboards highlight stories of relocation | Cities | The Guardian

'I feel I’m being forced out': London billboards highlight stories of relocation | Cities | The Guardian

The London is Changing campaign appearing on a digital billboard in Holborn.
 The London is Changing campaign on a digital billboard in Holborn. Photograph: Duarte Carrilho da Graça
If you are relocating out of London, how do you feel about it? Bitter, excited, saddened or relieved? These were some of the responses we collected from our readers as part of the London is Changing campaign, an effort to capture and bring to light the stories of people moving to, within and away from London – out of choice or necessity – as well as reflect on the impact of these patterns of migration.
The project is designed by Dr Rebecca Ross, senior lecturer and MA Communication Design course leader at Central Saint Martins, in collaboration with Outdoor Plus. Over the last week, some of the responses gathered have been featured on digital billboards in the centre of the capital, and will continue to show until Wednesday 25 February at The Eye Holborn and City of LondonGateway.
“The digital technology afforded the opportunity to facilitate a city-wide dialogue about the socio-economic changes underway in London and display the voices of individuals impacted at a monumental scale normally reserved for large corporations,” explains Ross.
While some stories of leaving London speak of opportunity and optimism, many express the deep frustrations and disappointments at how increasingly unaffordable housing in London is forcing people to leave their neighbourhood – or the city – against their will:
I miss my hometown every day and so does my son. My family lived in London for generations. Pretty much all my friendship group has moved out and dispersed – mostly priced out. I miss my people. And I miss places too – a solitary walk on Hampstead Heath was always my solace in tough times. And now I have those tough times, but no place to soothe them away. I’d move back in a heartbeat if I could. And it breaks my heart that I never will.
- A PhD student moving from Camden to Sussex

No comments:

Post a Comment